Register
Login 

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

New Topic Post Reply  [ 4 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:38 pm 
Club President and Foundation Member

The most famous name in Australian motorsport owns the lap record at Australia’s most famous racetrack.

Watch and listen for how late he brakes into the Chase.

Former Bathurst winner Luke Youlden drove the Brabham BT62 in a series of demonstration laps with his fastest time, a 1:58.670 secs, beating the previous benchmark set by German Christopher Mies, 1:59.3secs at the Challenge Bathurst event late last year in an unrestricted Audi R8 LMS race car.

The Brabham BT62 has been developed by the newly formed Brabham Automotive to be a track-only supercar but until now most of its running has been done in private. The Bathurst record marks the first public demonstration of the car’s capability and managing director, David Brabham, admitted the successful run was a weight off his shoulders.

Youlden had only limited laps to adjust the car to the demands on Mt Panorama and his record run was affected by traction control problems, but he was able to resolve them in time to set one clear lap good enough.

“I’m relieved,” Brabham said. “Happy and relieved.”

“Brabham is about racing, this is a racetrack, and this is where we belong. To come here and do this is great. To do a lap like that, with so little testing and track time, is outstanding.”

Despite his record-breaking run Youlden was confident it could go faster if they had more time and no traction control problems on his early laps.

“It’s mega,” Youlden said. “I still haven’t got near the limit across the top but it was good enough.

“I’m happy, but disappointed at the same time because I know we could have gone quicker. I definitely think the car has a [1m] 56 [sec] in it.”

Brabham also confirmed the BT62 will run demonstration laps - but not go for a lap record - at the Adelaide 500 street race. It will be a homecoming for the car that will be built in South Australia. The first delivery is scheduled for a German customer in the third quarter of 2019.

Cheers

GKW
Front wheel drive cars are the work of the Devil. Image

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:57 pm 
Club Vice President and Foundation Member

Pretty quiet and smooth.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:44 pm 
Club Member

Doesnt actually count as official because it wasnt done in competition and its not built to any regulations. So its basically just a really cool supercar (not the fake Australian versions but real European ones). There are also doubts about the challenge Bathurst time because that was set with all balance of performance regs taken off, so it was how Audi intended the car to be but does not fit to any recognized rules.

Still is very cool, looks fantastic and sound great. Would be a nice track car to pull out of the shed on your weekends off.

Its nice to see cars at their full potential around that place. Would easily get a few more seconds out of it if he wasnt worried about binning the only prototype built so far.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:00 am 
Club Vice President and Foundation Member

The thing is its just another race car.The track was built to race road going race cars that you could drive and sell for the road.
This has been lost many years ago for money as usual.Years ago there used to be race cars and then there where from the factory made race cars and they have all gone now and we are left with the generic all the same boring tin cans with a badge on the front.Seriously i dont know how they get sponsored from any car maker.Another sport thats changed for the worst.
Its all good building these cars to have fun in but you cant compare lap times of the past to now when the cars these days are purpose built purebread race cars.
Factory built cars of yesterday have style and where thieir own brand and design so you know what your looking at and what brand was truly the best on the day and thats why i haven't watched a race in years.

New Topic Post Reply  [ 4 posts ]