All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

New Topic Post Reply  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next 
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: James' VH Resto
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:01 pm 
Club Member

Well I know this has been a while coming. But here is my VH that me and dad are slowly restoring. I have been given the hurry up in the last few month with an LJ Torana coming into the family that me and dad will be restoring for my sister. The idea of this restoration is to keep the mods in period for the car, so no crazy engine work and just add a few little things to make it unique for me, plus allow me a little fun along the way designing and manufacturing my own parts.

So far the engine bay has had a full makeover with some of the last pieces coming together now. I have just added some braided lines and have fitted the new intake manifold ready for extractors and new exhaust due in next week. I havent shared this drawing before but when rewiring the engine bay last year I redesigned the wiring system to make it neater and work better.

As many of you know I have added a new storage compartment to the boot when that was tidied up. It may be the most over engineered piece of timber in the car but I had a heap of fun designing and building it.

So now Im just waiting for the exhaust to come in so I can take the car up to the upholsterer to get a design sorted for the seats, then the dash will be coming out and fully repaired. I will most likely redo all the wiring in the dash including rewiring the fuse box. I have a new radio on the way and have an inbuilt CB radio to hide away so I can actually hear everyone when we are on the road.

Keep you all posted on the next steps.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: James' VH Resto
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:55 pm 
Club President and Foundation Member

Lov'in the passion mate. A credit to you. She's come along nicely.

HoldenMan wrote:
As many of you know I have added a new storage compartment to the boot when that was tidied up. It may be the most over engineered piece of timber in the car but I had a heap of fun designing and building it.

LOL.....I know this disease. :bravo2:

Cheers

GKW
Front wheel drive cars are the work of the Devil. Image

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:21 pm 
Foundation Member

Car always looks great James. Always something new and interesting to look at when we catch up. The boot install is something special

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:08 am 
Club Vice President and Foundation Member

Looks good James.Stock and nice and neat.Some times less is more if you know what i mean.
Engine bay looks neat.Be good to see it out on the next cruze.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:02 am 
Club Member

You got that timber bug to Greg.

I hope I dont go over the top with some the parts I put on. I have been tossing up extractors for ages but have been putting it off thinking it would destroy the vibe of the car, but the old manifolds are just too ugly to keep.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:30 pm 

Just get the existing ones cleaned up and maybe ceramic coated.

Cheers

GKW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:59 pm 
Club Member

Ok well I went down the road of headers with a 2.5" system. Engine bay looks very clean now which is what I wanted. The note from the end of the pipe is nice and deep and doesn't drone much at all. Thinking through if I need a resonator on the end just to get rid of some of the really low end sound but need to do some more tests. Not to loud on the outside, not all that much more then the original system, just a nicer rumble to it especially at idle. PLus I have noticed that performance has improved a heap, doesn't struggle at all when taking off at lights.

What I do want some opinions on is do I wrap or ceramic coat the headers? I have researched that wrap generally leads to a whole heap of problems with rust and cracking while coating is more efficient, plus looks a whole lot better.

Also want to stop some of the noise in the cabin. Im thinking of either wrapping the pipe from the end of the headers to the muffler or just install some heat and noise sheets to the underside of the floor. I know what ever I do to the headers will help with this, as this is where some of the cabin noise comes from.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:39 pm 

Stop the noise with the sound deaderning inside the car and i allways run a resonator as it stops the drone without messing with the sound.Will never not have the resonator as i like the sound of my car but cant stand the droning.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:12 am 
Club Member

Last weekend I started the process of cleaning up the interior. The only way to do that is to completely strip it out. The dash needs a heap of work to repair some cracks which I have new parts for this ready to go in and I need to clean up the ducting behind the dash. Its amazing how much dust has collected under the dash in the last 30yrs. The dash didn't come out without a fight but I eventually got it all out in one piece.

The seats are now getting their new skin added which I have designed up to tie in with the design on the doors. I also have a brand new radio and will be adding an inbuilt CB radio.

So with all that going on I am trying my best to get everything back together for the show at the end of the month. I will see how this weekend goes.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:12 am 

Always a fun job that James. Nice work.

Don't ya hate when you've put it all back together and you have 2 or 3 screws left over!

Cheers

GKW

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:00 pm 
Foundation Member

Half of my garage is taken up with car parts. I just hope I can find everything when I need it. LOL

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:58 pm 

Join the club.lol.Mine's been like that for over 2 years.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:48 pm 
Club Member

Well I picked up some just about brand new seats from Mark at Blackneedle yesterday. Cant believe how good they look and cant wait to get them in the car, currently are feature piece in the lounge room.

At this stage I have repaired, cleaned and painted everything I need to. Now I just have to put it all back together. I have the first half of the insulation in and the ducting back together. Also have changed all of the lights in the dash and in the cabin to LEDs which should make things a lot brighter and easier to see of a night. I also cut away a lot of the plastic around the face of the instruments which has improved the level of light a lot. Hope I can get most of the car back together this weekend. Still just waiting on some new seatbelts to come in.

I have also managed to clean up the headlining to make it pretty much as clean as it needs to be. Found using Eucalyptus oil was the best thing to clean up the stains.

I dont know how much trouble Grant and Anthony have had with your dash's, but I found the top half a little confusing. The two rear bolts on the passenger side are impossible to get to. I worked out that those nuts are done as tight as you can to allow it to slide on and off but then cant get to them to nip up or undo. The front screws hold everything tight but I just found them weird. Dont know if its the same on your cars, everything else in there is fairly straight forward.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:32 pm 

Damn good trim job that. Blackneedle know their stuff.

Cheers

GKW

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:00 pm 
Foundation Member

Nice work mate. The seats look fantastic. Cant wait to spend squillions at Black Needle. :S

New Topic Post Reply  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2
 >> Next