Home Page FAQ Team

Register
Login 

Delete all board cookies

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please remember, any videos or images which contravene club policy, are offensive or show illegal / hoon activity will be removed and you maybe banned from the forum.

New Topic Post Reply  [ 8 posts ] 
Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:28 pm 
Club President and Foundation Member

A 1970 "Four Corners" look at Bathurst.

Cheers

GKW
Front wheel drive cars are the work of the Devil. Image

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:26 am 
Club Member

I know the 70's was a long time before me but what is the problem with the cars not being stock. Its obvious that they need mods to make them safe and fast.

Wish I was around to see 60 odd cars going around, imagine the chaos that would cause today. Love old school engineering. I have read a few things about Harry Firth, very smart engineer and amazing how he could get so much out the cars, basically told Holden how to build their cars to make them fast.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:10 am 
Life Member

Love it GKW, I remember watching this when I was in Year 7. It used to be great to see the XU1s, Pacers and GTHOs on the street after a show like this or after a race.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:03 pm 
Club President and Foundation Member

I started watching Bathurst in 1979 (my first memories of the race), and apart from seeing Brock win by 6 laps (which welded me to the brand), I loved watching all the diffferent cars and categories, DJ getting upset at slow moving Jap cars etc, but the thing that I remember most was the start...yep 60 odd cars on the grid going all the way back that the last 10 odd started from the end of Conrod.

Golden years!

Cheers

GKW
Front wheel drive cars are the work of the Devil. Image

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:28 pm 
Club Vice President and Foundation Member

Iam not sure when i started to watch it but it was a year or two before Allen Moffet and Bond whent 1 and 2 cause i watched that race.After that i was hooked.
Didnt miss a race after that,Was ether there or watched it on tv right up till Brocky retired.Watched it about twice between then and his death.
Was there the last 5 years he raced and got him to sign my Jacket the last year he raced.
Then whent back up there in 06 for the tribute.I was disapointed with the sound of the cars after 9 year's of not going.
Havent realy watched them ever since unless iav got nothing to do.
But bathurst is Bathurst and there is no greater race in Aus.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:39 pm 
Club Member

I feel the championship has lost the plot in the last 5 or 6 years. I havent missed a Bathurst since Brocky left us, but only really go for the atmosphere and an excuse to be half feral for a weekend. Doesnt matter what is on up there it always gives you a special feeling inside when you think of how fast they are going across the top. Have to say the GT cars sound so good across the top, the whole place echos with a nice deep rumble.

I havent been to any other V8 race since Oran Park was lost, but I did make the mistake of going to the first race at Olympic Park. Cant really call that attending the race coz I didnt see any cars all day. I love all forms of motorsport but can not understand the logic behind a street race over a permanent course. Obviously havent got the paying public in mind for that decision.

The worst thing about the cars now is the smell of the E85. Give me methanol or nitro any day over that stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:19 pm 
Club Vice President and Foundation Member

I have lost intrest because i want to see a real Holden or F,,d ect out there.Dont want to watch a NASCAR.
But i will say that they are fast cars out there now.
Go the muscle Car Masters.
Iam living in the past Greg and loving it .lol.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:38 am 
Life Member

Yeah I'm with you on that Grant. Rarely watch the V8s these days - but I do always have a look at Bathurst.

New Topic Post Reply  [ 8 posts ]