Previous topic | Next topic 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:34 pm 
Members Rep

HSV brand to diversify, thrive post-Holden

Author: Sam Hall
Sydney Morning Herald
27th February 2014
http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/hsv- ... 33kk7.html

New fast-car boss says HSV’s future is bright beyond 2017.

It’s considered by cynics as a poisoned chalice: taking the mantle of a brand soon to lose its core appeal and, until now, reason for being.

But newly-appointed Holden Special Vehicles boss Tim Jackson is brimming with optimism about the brand’s potential in Australia well after Holden stops building V8-powered cars in 2017.

Jackson was on Wednesday appointed the new managing director of the fast-car division, taking over from Phil Harding after a four-year tenure as HSV’s marketing and product planning director. Harding will remain on the HSV board in a non-executive capacity, as well as working on key projects with parent company, the Walkinshaw Group.

Jackson, who has spent recent months helping to map out HSV’s future beyond 2017 – when Holden winds down its manufacturing operations – says prospects are bright for the 27-year-old brand.

“There’s lots of speculation around given Holden’s closure announcement but our job’s the same - we have to deliver great performance cars to the Australian public,” he said.

Jackson said he felt privileged to be at the helm of HSV through the upcoming transitional period, though he admitted the next phase will bring new challenges.

As Fairfax revealed on the day of Holden’s manufacturing announcement, HSV intends to continue its operations well into the future – though the make-up of its range is yet to be confirmed.

“It’s very exciting but it comes with a certain responsibility,” Jackson said.

“We’ve got a lot of passionate customers, a great dealer group – serving those people comes with great responsibility.

“Our job’s to deliver great products - that’s first and foremost - and the challenge is keeping everyone on target.”

Other than a run of modified Holden Astras and a limited batch of early model V6 Commodores, HSV’s bread and butter until now has been V8-powered sedans, wagons and utes.

The brand currently produces six V8 models which are based on the architecture and underpinnings of the VF Commodore. HSV's new top-range model released earlier this year, the HSV GTS, is the fastest, most powerful car produced in Australia.

Jackson said HSV would diversify from its current model line-up, but was reticent to say which direction the company would take.

With strong contractual links to Holden, HSV could potentially source General Motors vehicles from overseas, including American muscle variants from Chevrolet, or even European small cars like the Opel Astra OPC.

“We’re always cautious not to add to speculation.. People know us for doing great value performance cars, that’s what we plan to continue doing,” he said.

HSV currently employs about 140 staff across its manufacturing and engineering divisions, servicing a dealership network of 66 in Australia and New Zealand.

Jackson was hopeful of maintaining current employment levels at HSV’s Clayton assembly line and headquarters, as well preserving the widespread dealership network.

“It’s an exciting time for us,” he said.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:12 pm 
Club President and Foundation Member

Welcome to the brave new world of

"Hyundai Special Vehicles"
crazy eyes.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cheers

GKW
Front wheel drive cars are the work of the Devil. Image

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:20 am 
Foundation Member

I'm sure the new HSV Barina will be a real ball tearer. Wonder what they're hiding that they wont say anything about the future line up

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:32 pm 

I believe it's staring us in the face with new gm line up I love my Holden's, but if anything going to replace it I hope it's still a gm product.... "two thumbs:

Interesting enough Greg I think you hit the nail on the head I hear in pipeline there is a Hyundai v8 lol, and if you look at the how they are flexing there muscles it might be the car to have in 10 years time, actually drove one as rental i35 and it was very well appointed :?

Destroying your local raceway fortnightly!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:16 pm 
Club Vice President and Foundation Member

Wash your mouth out Ben.lol.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:10 am 

I know I'm not liking the future it's dark and scary :h

Talking yesterday a conversation arouse of import of cars to Australia,
But all original imports where to be imported in parts and assembled in Australia, now this would have helped started the auto revolution in Australia if u ask me opposed to now import & flog the hell out of them and culling of an Australian icon

Was very interesting speaking to the gentleman with the 1929 chev this was built in Adelaide in the holden plant through the depression, it featured a gm inline 6 with 3 speed crunch box, this sat brand new on lot until sold brand new 1932 very different world today but they say history does sometimes repeat itself... :?

Destroying your local raceway fortnightly!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:57 pm 
Club Member

On that note when we were at the museum there was a note in one of the displays about how the Australian government slapped import duties on all fully imported cars in order to help Australian coach builders compete with the overseas imports what's happened .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:25 pm 
Foundation Member

That wonderful and brilliant concept of free trade

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:01 pm 
Club Member

FAVSSS wrote:
That wonderful and brilliant concept of free trade

There is no such thing!

COXI

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:21 pm 
Club Member

Nothing comes for free